28 March,2012 by Jack Vamvas
Nmon is a tuner and benchmark tool on Linux. Capture disk, cpu, memory , filesystem, resource usage, virtual memory
As a DB2 DBA it's a very effective method of capturing different types of in data in one interface.
nmon is useful in operation with DB2 and Linux IO testing tools
1) Download nmon from http://nmon.sourceforge.net/pmwiki.php
2) tar –xvf filename.tar.gz on the target server
3) Locate the correct binary , in my case – nmon_linux_x86_64
4) Use to check if nmon is running : ps -ef | grep nmon
5) Use the file output option to Save the data file for analysis.
An example command to execute nmon in background to collect the data:
nmon -f -s 10 -c 60
This generates data in current directory for 600 seconds
6) Load output file into nmon Analyzer tool in Excel